A vendor offers me a sample of strawberry Turkish delights. On the left, there is a store filled with spices I have never seen. On the right, there is a store filled with tourist trinkets and varying sized hookahs. It's bustling and loud as a Turkish couple flirt, an Asian couple argue, an American tries to bargain. The bazaar is just as crazy as the streets of Istanbul. What chaos! As I walk down the rows of shops, the Turkish vendors wave their hands to come in to their store. One man says, "hello friend." Another says, "would you like some Turkish tea?" I see something I want to buy - a small bowl with blue floral designs. "20 TL!" says the man. I immediately say, "no, no, no, no..." and walk away. As I walk away the price slowly goes down: "15 TL! 10 TL! How much you want?" Checkmate! I got the vendor to get the bait. I offer 5 TL. He says no and says that he has children to feed. I walk away again and then he gives in. By only saying two verbal words, "5 TL" I was able to bargain. Sometimes you cannot bargain with words but by body language - the subtle form of communication.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment